Welcome!

Welcome to the new and improved Carano's Cucina. I make a lot of kick ass food and go out to some amazing restaurants. Take a look around and make yourself at home :)

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Stromboli? Calzone? Call it what you will!

Do I call this Stomboli? Or Calzone? Or sausage bread? Or fold over pizza? I don't know. I guess it could be called any of those things. I just call it yummy! Looking around at what I had in the house yesterday I decided I had to make use of some zucchini my in laws had given me, the sausage I made with my Grandma and Mom a few months ago, and whatever else I could find in the house or in the garden.

I decided I wanted to make a dough and wrap all these amazing ingredients up in it. So I made my Grandma's delicious pizza dough.

1 1/2 teaspoons of dry yeast
1 1/2 cups warm water
3 1/2 - 3 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons olive oil

Proof the yeast by placing it in the bowl of your mixture with 1/2 cup of warm water and let sit for about 10 minutes.

After that time, add the other cup of warm water and combine well. Add 3 cups of flour, salt and olive oil and mix with a dough hook.



When all combine, and the dough comes off the sides of the mixing bowl (you may need to add more flour), put in a well oiled bowl and let rise for 2 hours. This dough is enough for two pizzas.

So, while the dough is rising now is the time to put together everything else. I've got the sausage... sadly, the last of the sausage. I have the zucchini that I decided to shred.




What else? I went out to the garden and picked the leek I had been growing as well as some tomatoes and herbs.




What we have here (tomatoes - front to back) is a Black Sea Man, a Red Zebra and a Caspian Pink. Also we have mint, sweet basil and opal basil. And behind all that is the leek I guess I left in the ground too long! It was huge!!!

So, I crumbled the sausage and sauteed it with the shredded zucchini and chopped leek, with a little pepper. I do not add salt to this because the sausage has plenty of salt in it. You need to cook this until all the water that comes out of the zucchini cooks out.




For the second one, I again crumbled the sausage and sauteed it with chopped leek and spinach. The spinach was bought, but I had it and it needed to be used up. Again, you need to cook this until all the water that comes out of the spinach cooks out. You don't want soggy bread!



With both fillings done, and the dough nicely risen, it was time to stuff! Oh my, this is getting exciting! I spread the dough out on a lightly oiled baking sheet and then put the filling on and sprinkled with some basil from the garden and little mozzarella cheese.




Then I folded up the dough and vented it a little on top and brushed with a little olive oil.




It then goes into a 425 degree oven. And comes out looking like this!!




I served it with the rest of my garden treasures... the tomatoes, a cucumber from my brother's garden, and my mint with some olive oil and balsamic vinegar.




If you want you can make a marinara dipping sauce for the bread, but quite frankly, it didn't seem necessary to us. The bread was absolutely delicious!

No comments: