Welcome!

Welcome to the new and improved Carano's Cucina. I make a lot of kick ass food and go out to some amazing restaurants. Take a look around and make yourself at home :)

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Time to Eat More Greens

I often resolve to eat more greens. They are so good for, loaded with all the good stuff a body needs. But I don't always succeed in my quest. But sometimes I do. While shopping at Krieger's Market in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, I was looking at the many varieties of greens available and saw the most beautiful, fresh bunch of swiss chard I have ever seen.



It was vibrant green with clean white stems like it had just been picked. The bunch was huge, but I knew once it was cooked it would be just enough for Nick and I to share as a side dish. So I cleaned it, chopped it and threw it in my biggest skillet with a little olive oil, about 5 cloves of chopped garlic, a little salt, a little pepper and we're off!


If it doesn't exude enough of it's own liquid and the pan starts to get too dry, just add a little broth/stock. They don't take very long to cook. You just want them to wilt and the stems to get tender. Maybe about 15 minutes or so.



You'll notice that they will shrink down considerably. But they are delectable.


No comments: