Welcome!

Welcome to the new and improved Carano's Cucina. I make a lot of kick ass food and go out to some amazing restaurants. Take a look around and make yourself at home :)

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Cleveland Home and Garden Show - WE MET LEE!!!!

February 2, 2008. We have been waiting for this day for months. We were finally going to meet Lee Snijders from HGTV's Design on a Dime. But first, we had to walk around Italy. That was the theme of this years show and the minute you walk in, you go directly to all the Italian gardens. It was absolutely beautiful!






There is so much to see at the Home Show that we really didn't what to do with ourselves. We wandered around the gardens for awhile and then decided to head over to the floating homes. Yes, floating homes. Inside the I-X Center were two complete homes that are designed to be on water. We noticed while we were waiting in line to get into the homes that Lee was on the deck of one of them just chillin out! OMG, we're going to see Lee before the 3:30 pm scheduled appearance we were going to! We quickly rushed through the first house so we could get through it and to the second one. You had to go through one to get to the other. Wouldn't you know, as soon as we got to the door of the second one, Lee was called out to do a TV spot. Doh! Foiled!

So we walked around some more, looking at furnishings and accessories for your home. We saw some really amazing stuff, like this glass and copper fountain.



You can't really see the water trickling through it, but it was really gorgeous in person. We also saw this unique chandelier and this gorgeous bedroom suite.





But when we saw this room Nick and I about lost it! This is a dream room for is. Retro and cool. Black and turquoise. Chrome and leather. There might as well have been a sign on this room that said, "Inspired by Kathy and Nick." We called The Dating Game room. If we get nothing else from this room, we must... and I repeat MUST have that rug!










As we continued walking around, we looked at plants and seeds (some of which I bought!). But the orchid booth was by far the most beautiful of all the booths. The flowers were incredible. It takes talent to cultivate such beauty. I do OK in gardens, but I don't know about orchids. That seems to be out of my league.





Now it's time to see Lee!!! We got to the stage area a little early so we could get a good seat. The speaker before him was still talking but as soon as she was over and people started to filter out, we took two seats front and center! Lee came out and set up his own props, which were pictures from rooms he had designed on Design on a Dime, Designing for the Sexes and Designer's Challenge. All HGTV shows. We saw some we recognized and some we didn't. The ones we didn't recognize ended up being pictures of his own home. I told Nick that when we get to the meet and greet, if Lee likes my scarf, I'm going to give it to him. Why I said this, I don't know. I just figured it would be something Lee would like. It's black fleece with white skull and crossbones on it.

When his talk officially started, Lee was all over the place! Talking a mile a minute, moving from one end of the stage to the other. He was so quick, I had difficulty getting any pictures of him! His energy was intoxicating. His talk was interesting and informative. Did you know that if you have dark hair your bathroom color should be light and if your hair is light your bathroom color should be dark? Why? So you can see the siloutte of your hair in the mirror. I did forget to ask him what I should do about that though, since my hair is both dark and light!





Lee talked for about 45 minutes or so and gave us a lot of helpful hints. But now it was time to meet Lee. We have liked him since the first time we saw him. One of his first Design on a Dime rooms was a living room that so inspired us, we are doing something similar in our kitchen. If you can believe it, the minute we got up to the desk where Lee was signing autographs he looked at me and said, "hey I love your scarf." I looked at Nick, laughed and told Lee... "I had just told my husband before you started that if you liked my scarf, I would give it to you." He said, "Really!?" And I told him yes and took it off and asked if he wanted it. He did! lol We told him how he inspires us and he couldn't be more sweet and gracious. Then we had a guy in line behind us take this photo. Here we are with Lee wearing my (now his) scarf! He also said he loved Nick's Social Distortion shirt, but didn't think Nick would want to part with it. He was right about that! lol


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Soooo cool! I love this guy!