Welcome!

Welcome to the new and improved Carano's Cucina. I make a lot of kick ass food and go out to some amazing restaurants. Take a look around and make yourself at home :)

Monday, April 21, 2008

Farmer's Market fun

I recently went to one of my favorites places, Beilers Penn Dutch Market. It's half farmer's market, half Amish bulk store. Quite possibly the most perfect store on the planet! This was an especially good day and I got so much wonderful produce. I made today's dish with ingredients that were all bought at the market. It's a roasted garlic, grilled zucchini orzo side dish.

I started off with some wonderful zucchini. It's usually a lot smaller this time of year, but in a few months is larger and extremely plentiful. But check out these beauties!





So I started off with zucchini, sliced on a diagonal, drizzled with olive oil and then grilled. Then took one whole head of garlic, sliced off the top, drizzled with olive oil, wrapped in foil and put it on the grill. In the meantime, I cooked some of the bulk orzo I bought.





When everything was done, I chopped the zucchini and then mashed the garlic with some olive oil, salt and pepper and then mixed both with the orzo. I then added a large amount of chopped fresh flat leaf parsley.




This was absolutely delicious. And I think it would be even better with a different herb. I'm thinking mint. I served it warm on the side of some grilled turkey thighs.




If springs bounty is this good, I cannot wait for what summer will bring!

No comments: