Welcome!

Welcome to the new and improved Carano's Cucina. I make a lot of kick ass food and go out to some amazing restaurants. Take a look around and make yourself at home :)

Friday, June 6, 2008

Rhubarb is a vegetable

My neighbor across the street, who is sadly moving away, has a huge rhubarb patch in her back yard. She's given tons of it to me every year and I promptly gave it all to my Grandma. Well Grandma hasn't been well lately and doesn't have much desire to cook. But the rhubarb is still there and my neighbor still wanted to give it to me. So I thought this year, I'd give it a go. I wanted to make something that utilized buttermilk because I had some left from making carrot cake. I did a search and found a recipe I thought sounded good, here at epicurean.com.

Start with two bags of frozen strawberries (the picture is showing ice on the strawberries, not sugar).




Add two pounds of fresh chopped rhubarb and lemon juice. Cover and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes.




In a small bowl combine your cornstarch and 1 cup of the sugar then slowly add to the pot of strawberries and rhubarb. Stir constantly for 4 minutes, until bowling. Then set aside and let cool slightly.

Make sure your oven is heated to 350 and your 13 x 9 is greased and ready to go. In a large bowl take 3 cups of the flour, 1 cup of the sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and combine. Then with a pastry blender, two knifes, a fork or your hands (I use my hands) cut the butter into the flour mixture until it is the consistency of course crumbs (you can enlarge the photo by clicking on it and getting a better look at the consistency.




In a small bowl beat together the buttermilk, eggs and vanilla then stir the buttermilk mixture into the flour/butter mixture and mix only until combined. Then spread half of the mixture into the bottom of your 13 x 9 pan.




Then pour in the strawberry rhubarb mixture. Drop the rest of the cobbler batter by Tablespoonfuls over the strawberry/rhubarb mixture. In a small saucepan on low heat, melt remaining butter and then stir in remaining flour and sugar, stirring until the mix resembles course crumbs. Sprinkle this mixture over the cobbler. Bake for 40 -45 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the bubbly. Be SURE to put a cookie sheet under your pan or you'll have a mess in your stove!






Cool for about 10 minutes or so, then serve with vanilla ice cream! YUM





Nick and I absolutely LOVED this. It really was delicious but if I had to pick a nit, I would say that it uses far too many bowls and pans!! Yikes.



No comments: