Welcome!

Welcome to the new and improved Carano's Cucina. I make a lot of kick ass food and go out to some amazing restaurants. Take a look around and make yourself at home :)

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Lasagne, oh yes it's that good!

I guess by now you're getting the idea that when I have a big pot of sauce, I make a lot of other stuff too. I could freeze the sauce, as I said in that blog. But I rarely do that. No when I have sauce, it's almost mandatory that I make lasagne!

I have tried the Barilla no boil noodles. But I much prefer the boil first variety. But that's your call. You use whatever you like.

While the noodles are boiling, I make my assembly line. I start with the ricotta. Nothing makes me more violently ill than the mere idea that someone would put cottage cheese in lasagne! I saw Paula Deen do it and I absolutely shuddered in disgust! Ricotta is what goes into lasagne. To one pound of ricotta, add about a handful of chopped fresh parsley or two Tablespoons of dried. Also add one beaten egg. Mix well.





You will also need your pot of sauce, some grated Parmesan and of course, your noodles. Start with sauce on the bottom of a 9 x 13 pan. It should cover the bottom but you don't want your noodles swimming in it. Then put in one layer of noodles. Spread the noodles with a thick but not too thick layer of the ricotta mixture and then sprinkle with Parm.




Start the whole process again, starting with sauce and then layering everything else as stated above. You don't have to put the ricotta on each layer, but if you have enough go for it!




When you come to the end of your noodles, finish off your ricotta on top (if you haven't already used it all), a sprinkling of parm and more sauce. Then top the whole thing with a pound of shredded mozzarella or provolone cheese. Make that layer thick! Gooey cheese rules!!

Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350 for about an hour. You may want to put a sheet pan under it, in case there is bubble over.

When you take it out of the oven, take off the foil and let the whole thing rest for about 15 minutes. If you cut into it too quickly the layers will just fall apart and you don't want that to happen.




This is a very hearty lasagne and is definitely a crowd pleaser! You don't need much more with it except a nice salad and maybe some garlic bread. Enjoy!


No comments: