Welcome!

Welcome to the new and improved Carano's Cucina. I make a lot of kick ass food and go out to some amazing restaurants. Take a look around and make yourself at home :)

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Not your Mama's Braicole

Even though I made sauce this week, I decided not to use it for my braicole. Oh by the way, I believe braicole means stuffed and rolled meat. I used very thin beef, which even actually says braicole on the label.

Lay the meat out flat and then brush with a nice Dijon mustard. To that, sprinkle with seasoned bread crumbs and herbs. I have an enormous amount of sage in my garden, so I chose to use that. Just chop it up and sprinkle it over the bread crumbs.





The next step is to roll up the braicole. Start at the short end and roll. When you get the end, affix with a toothpick to hold them together.





With about two tablespoons of olive oil heated up in a pan, place braicole into the pan and sear on each side. The meat is very thin and won't take long to brown on each side so watch it carefully and turn after a few minutes. Lift carefully so you don't tear the meat.




When completely browned, remove from the pan and set aside. Take the pan off the heat and add 1/2 cup of white wine and then put pan back on the heat. You've seen chefs on TV do this a million times. Stir the wine around the pan and pick up all the browned tasty bits. After a few minutes, add a cup of stock to the pan. If you have beef, use beef. But if you only have chicken, that works too. Then add two cloves of sliced garlic and then add the braicole back into the pan. Cover and let the braicole cook in the sauce for about 20 minutes, then add more chopped fresh sage.




If you like a thicker sauce, you can continue to cook it down or help it along with a little slurry of corn starch and water (about a Tablespoon of each, mixed and added to the pan slowly while it simmers). Or you can leave it as is. I prefer my sauce thickened.




It's tender and delicious. Serve with pasta, or potatoes or even over egg noodles. You can't go wrong. Just remember to take out the toothpicks!

1 comment:

susan said...

yum i add dried cranberries, cheese, breadcrumbs and herbs to mine and after browning i make my gravy and just let them finish cooking in that. i will try your way next time i love dijon!