Welcome!

Welcome to the new and improved Carano's Cucina. I make a lot of kick ass food and go out to some amazing restaurants. Take a look around and make yourself at home :)

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Patty Pan is not Peter's Sister

Having gone to several farmer's markets this season, I got to wondering about the pattypan squash. I've seen them big and I've seen them small and all of them look like flying saucers.



So you can see the one I bought it kind of big. I really wasn't quite sure what to do with it. It seemed very hard, but was the flesh soft? Is it the consistency of say a butternut squash? What's the deal here!? I constantly several sources and decided I would do what I do best, make it with pasta. It's my go to.

I started out by chopping it in half and then cutting it into thin pieces.


This was a lot of squash. I actually ended up only using half of it because it looked like the whole thing would be too much. So I sauteed it in olive oil with some garlic, salt and pepper. When it started to cook, caramelizing on the edges, I added some Italian sausage that I crumbled.



Then just let it go. Let it all cook together and marry and have a good old time in your saute pan. Add some onions if you like. I have been loving the purple scallions I get at the farmer's market and add those to just about everything. They rock!

If the pan gets dry, add a little chicken stock or white wine. And remember to scrape up those brown bits on the bottom of the pan. Anne Burrell of Secrets of a Restaurant Chef on Food Network often says, "brown food tastes good" and she's absolutely right. So don't waste the good stuff!




When the sausage and squash and all it's goodness are looking done, add some cooked linguine or whatever pasta you like and get ready for deliciousness!


Top with Parmesan or Romano for extra added yummies!

1 comment:

Tino said...

You got me thinking about how I would use large pattypan squash ... I'm thinking risotto. Take half the squash and bake until tender ... the other half, dice into small cubes and either roast or saute until nicely golden brown.

Use the baked half as a puree in the risotto as a base flavor component and then add in the nicely caramelized cubes of pattypan at the last minute. Mmmmm ... I may just have to try that. :)

That being said, your pasta idea is also an excellent one. I may have to try that out if I'm in the position of acquiring a large pattypan squash.