Welcome!

Welcome to the new and improved Carano's Cucina. I make a lot of kick ass food and go out to some amazing restaurants. Take a look around and make yourself at home :)

Monday, March 17, 2008

Two meals in one

I've had a little bee in my bonnet about making a dish using wonton wrappers. I wanted to bake them and make them into little cups to hold a delicious filling. I don't know why I wanted to do this, maybe because I had wonton wrappers in my freezer after buying them on sale during the Chinese New Year celebration at the grocery store.

I decided on a more Mediterranean filling than an Asian. So I started with chicken tenderloins cut into bite size pieces. I browned them in a little olive oil, salt and pepper.




From there I added a thawed box of frozen chopped spinach. Be sure to squeeze out the spinach after it thaws. It's very very wet and will make the dish too wet too. Or just use fresh. I also added sundried tomatoes that I cut into strips. I usually use sundried tomatoes packed in oil and that would be fine with this, but the ones I used this time were pliable, not hard, but not packed in anything either. You can eat them right out of the bag if you wanted to!




While all that is cooking, take a muffin pan and fill each one with a wonton wrapper. I actually used two in each, since they are very thin.




You can either lightly brush them with oil or butter or spray with cooking spray. And then bake at 350 for about 8 minutes. Watch them, they brown fast, and hit the point of no return even faster!




Once the cups are done the filling should be done as well. Take them out of the pan and straight to the plate. Then just load them up with your filling and top with Feta cheese. I served them with my famous roasted vegetable rice on the side.




And because there is a lot more filling than there is wonton (I only made 6 wontons, three each for Nick and I and then froze the rest to make something else with), I made pasta the next day and added the filling to it!




Just in case you're wondering what those things are on the side of my pasta dish, they are sandwich wraps. I bought them and found this particular wrap to be far too thick and kind of dry. So I put them on a cookie sheet, brushed with olive oil, garlic powder, and a little thing I picked up at Penzey's called Tuscan Seasoning (Italian seasoning will do). Then cut them into triangles with my pizza cutter and then baked for a few minutes until they got crisp. They were so much better this way!

No comments: