Welcome!

Welcome to the new and improved Carano's Cucina. I make a lot of kick ass food and go out to some amazing restaurants. Take a look around and make yourself at home :)

Sunday, August 9, 2009

Zucchini, Baked not Fried

It's zucchini time! I don't grow it because I get so much from other people that I don't need to grow it. And if I don't get it from someone, I can buy it at a farmer's market. This particular zucchini that I used on this day was from my former neighbor who came by to drop it off for me. How nice is that right? She gave me two huge zucchini's. One will most likely become bread, but the other was begging to be breaded. Since I'm really trying get back on my diet, I didn't want to fry it in oil, so I decided to bake it.

First I took the zucchini and sliced it into about 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch slices.



From here it's done just the same as you would if you were frying it. Most things I fry I dip in flour first, but didn't feel the need to do this with zucchini. So I went straight to the egg (two beaten eggs) mixed with about a Tablespoon of Dijon mustard.



From there, dip in bread crumbs. Mine are mixture of plain bread crumbs, panko bread crumbs, Italian seasoning and Parmesan cheese.



Line them up on a baking sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray. And then I lightly spray the top of the breaded zucchini with Fabio spray. Wait, you don't know what Fabio spray is? Here, I'll let this explain it for me:



Ever since those commercials started I have called it Fabio spray, so now you know what it is and I bet you'll call it that from now on too!

Bake in a 375 degree oven for about 40 minutes (until lightly browned). If you wish, top with a little provolone or mozzarella.


You won't miss the frying! We didn't :)

No comments: